Wednesday, March 31, 2010

God-talk and God-acts


My Bible history class watched The Passion of the Christ this week for Passion Week. I am so blessed that I can present the Gospel in the classroom. I read them a passage from The Message. I normally do not like The Message because it is not a verse by verse translation, but rather a paraphrase. I did, however, like the way it phrased James 2:17 "Isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous."

I challenged my eighth graders this week to not only talk about what they saw in The Passion, but to also show that love they saw through their acts. James wrote in the same chapter that if we walk by a hungry friend and say "Be filled with the Holy Spirit" yet we do not provide for their physical hunger, what good have we done?

My challenge was simple. Tell others about Christ, yes. But do not just tell them about His love for us. Show them.

No comments: