Friday, November 5, 2010

No Idols

On Wednesday nights, Ryan has been speaking on Exodus 20 and the 10 Commandments. Many people wonder what application it can have on our lives today, having been given to the Israelites so many many years ago. Last week Ryan spoke on idols.

Exodus 20: 4-6 says, "“You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

The first commandment we studied was who we worship, and the second commandment here talks about the method and how we worship. We don't need a little pocket Jesus to bring out and worship, we just need God and our relationship with Him. He requires a relationship based on faith, with no tangible thing to hold on to.

Our challenge for the week was this, to search our hearts and pray for God to reveal things that we placed above God and things we idolized. To me, God instead decided to reveal to me a new found vigor for stewardship. Maybe because money seemed to be important to me. I'm not sure. But I have become a saver, a deal seeker, and a coupon-clipping wife. I feel better knowing that I have spent the money God has blessed me with wisely. And I feel better knowing that the check I write back to give to God is a little fuller because of how wisely I have been with what He has given me.

Sometimes God's answer isn't exactly what we expected. This week's certainly was not what I expected as an answer when I started Ryan's challenge for the week.

No comments: