Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Making Plans

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version, ©2010)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

My coping mechanism is planning. It is how I keep myself calm in an ever-changing world. I make contingency plans. I plan for the worse-case scenario. I have been trying to plan for my classes around having a baby. My six week class started Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 and ends March 14, 2011. The problem? I am officially due February 25th, 2011. But with having a baby, due dates are a suggestion. He can come whenever he wants. He can come early and arrive next week or he can come late and be a March baby. That makes it difficult on me when I am trying to plan around it.

I just feel like a stubborn toddler. You know the kind. Like my nephew who continues to jump off the couch onto a stack of pillows in the floor. All the while, the adults watching over him are telling him not to do it, that he will get hurt. And what do you know, he jumps too far to the left and hits a metal pole with his knees on the way down.

I feel like God is like that with me. He is watching over me, and I start thinking about jumping off the couch. My plans are made. But God has other plans. Plans that are perfect and plans to not harm me. But what do I do, I jump! Only to get hurt.

Lord, forgive me for being a stubborn toddler. Change my plans to Your plans. Not my will, but Yours be done.

No comments: