Saturday, June 21, 2008

Growing Old in the Word

Amazing how life can kind of creep up on you! I can tell I am getting older. My baby cousins are growing up and the first is going off to college in August. The youth in my husband's youth group are calling songs from my high school days as an "Oldie". And last but not least, I think I am losing my mind!

Enough of all of these rants. I know I go into them a lot. Today I want to share something that has been on my mind for years. There are people who want to "start their day off the holy way" and have devotions and read the Bible in the mornings. They say it makes their day brighter. Then there are those who want time with God to be the last thing they do before they go to bed.

Well, me. I can't do either. If its first thing in the morning, I am exhausted! Its overwhelming how much God reveals to you or can reveal to you during time with Him. Sometimes it so much it can physically exhaust you! That's happened to me recently.

If its the last thing I do before I go to bed I wind up awake until 3am just with things racing in my head that has been revealed to me or a song of praise will pop into my head and I will want to spend more and more time worshiping God and spending time in His word and won't be able to sleep.

My solution. Bit by bit all through the day. I'll read a verse before I take my shower in the morning. Then read a few chapters at lunch or during my breaks at work. My main Bible study has been around 8-9 at night or when Ryan has his meetings at church. This has caused me to become a 9:30 in the bed person! But it is better than staying up all night! So here I am....growing old! Before you know it I will come home from work and go straight to bed and then wake up at 4am!

No comments: